Female Sexual Dysfunction (FSD) is defined as persistent problems with sexual desire, arousal, orgasm or pain, leading to diminished or absence of sexual satisfaction. It is prevalent in approximately 40% of women and can cause a great deal of stress in a woman’s sexual experience, it includes:
1. Desire Disorder: lack of sexual desire or interest in sex, due to hormonal changes, medical conditions, depression, fatigue or stress.
2. Arousal Disorder: inability to become physically aroused, due to inadequate stimulation and vaginal lubrication, or Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting(circumcision).
3. Orgasmic Disorder: absence of sexual climax (orgasm), due to lack of sexual knowledge, experience, feeling of quilt, anxiety, sexual trauma abuse, insufficient friction (vaginal relaxation) or lubrication, FGM, chronic disease and medication.
4. Sexual Pain Disorder: pain during intercourse, due to endometriosis, pelvic mass, vaginitis, scar tissue from previous delivery, poor lubrication, sexual transmitted disease, vaginismus and FGM.
5. Vulvo-Vaginal Atrophy: Vaginal dryness and loss of genital tissue integrity and sensitivity due to hormonal changes and aging. Many mature women, find their clitoral and vaginal sensitivity reduced when getting older, along with vaginal tissue atrophy, dryness and decreased sexual desire, arousal, and orgasmic capacity, with an increase in pain during sex.
History, sexual counseling, and a pelvic examination are crucial to identifying the underlying physical or psychological problems. Treatment strategies focus on sex education, enhancing sexual responce, and minimizing pain.
Hormonal Replacement Therapy (HRT): may be used in some cases like vulvo-vaginal atrophy, or alternative therapy like lasers, platelet rich plasma, vaginal lubricators, and anti-anxiety medication.
Clitoral Reconstructive Surgery: for reversal of Female Genital Mutilation (circumcision) and removes adhesions around the clitoral stump to enhance sensation.
Botulinum Toxin: for vaginismus treatment along with and psycho-sexual support, and progressive vaginal dilatation.
Laser & Radio Frequency Therapy: helpfs in shrinking vaginal tissue and increases vaginal and clitoral blood supply, it improves tissue structure, sensitivity, lubrication and urinary incontinence.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injection: is a relatively new procedure, that involves drawing a specific amount of your own blood and concentrating the platelets in blood plasma, by a special centrifuge device process to produce Platelet Rich Plasma, which is then injected, painlessly, into your anterior vaginal wall (G/O spot), the clitoris, and around the urethra; to enhance vaginal and clitoral tissue sensitivity, orgasmic response, improve urinary incontinence and vaginal lubrication.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injection in the vagina and clitoris is a simple, painless, non surgical shot that delivers growth factors, known to stimulate collagen formation, activate stem cells, and increase flood flow to the injected area. These factors rejuvenate your vaginal and clitoral tissues, nerves, and vascular structure;. which in turn tighten vaginal tissue, improve clitoral sensation, and strengthen orgasmic response. Additional benefits include improvement in painful intercourse and urinary incontinence symptoms.
Complimentary benefit can be obtained by combining (Laser – Radio Frequency – High Instensity Focused Utrasound) non-surgical vaginal thermal therapy or clitoral reconstructive surgery with PRP therapy for maximal rejuvenation of genital and urinary tissue structures.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injection is known to improve arousal, orgasm, and lubrication in sexually active women. It may take up to 8 weeks for full benefits, effective in 85% of cases, but must be repeated every 12 – 18 months.
The outlook is good for female sexual dysfunction, that is related to a treatable or reversible physical condition. Mild dysfunction that is related to stress, fear, or anxiety often can be successfully treated with counseling, education, and improved communication between partners.